William Herberg became the company’s first delegate to the Stockport Board of Fire Commissioners when the board was created on Jan. 12, 1929. Herberg was likewise named the board’s first chairman.
The first purchase of the newly formed board was six rubber coats and six rubber boots to aid firefighters in battling blazes.
A parcel of land on Atlantic Ave. that currently houses the Stockport Town Hall was purchased from Henrietta Purdy on July 31, 19 29 and the first Stottville fire house was constructed. The fire house was officially opened on July 1, 19 31.
First motorized equipment
Stottville’s first motorized fire truck — an American La France 500-gallon-per-minute pumper — was purchased for $5,972.65 on April 11, 1936. The unit was placed into service three months later on July 13, 1936.
One of the first mutual aid pacts in Columbia County was signed in 1941, with Stottville, Stockport, Greenport and Hudson all agreeing to provide mutual aid support to each other.
Later that year, the Columbia County Firemen’s Association Convention was hosted in Stottville, with Kenneth Gardner serving as chairman of the association.
Mr. Gardner served as chairman of the association again in 1949, when the convention returned to Stottville.
The Stottville Fire Company Auxiliary was formed on Nov. 24, 19 41 with Mrs. James O’Shea being tapped to serve as its first president. The other officers were:
Vice President Mrs. R. Schermerhorn
Sec. Mrs. Kenneth Gardner
Treasurer: Mrs. Walter Wolfe
Historian: Mrs. Fred Foster
Stottville firefighters decided to join the Columbia County Chief’s Blood Bank on Feb. 26, 19 55, with member Gus Tootell serving as blood bank secretary from 1956 till its disbandment in 1967.
The company added its second truck, a 1,300-gallon tanker with 150-gallon-per-minute rotary pump, in August, 1956. It was quickly joined on May 17, 1962 with a 750-gallon-per-minute maxim pumper truck, which replaced the 1936 pumper.
To make room for the two trucks, the company in 1960 added a second bay to the firehouse.
Stottville Fire Company was the first in the have an emergency vehicle, when such a truck was placed into sevice on Sept. 18, 1964. It was replaced in 1967 with a 1968 with a step-van, which later was replaced in 1978 by a 1970 Custom Ford Rescue Truck, which was one of the first expanded trucks in the county.
Stottville achieved another first in 1970 with the purchase of 4” hose. The company was the first in New York State to order such a large diameter hose. To accommodate it, the company became one of the first in the country to order a double-reel pumper, which, using hydraulics, would lay and pickup the hose.
Ward LaFrance — which had no history of constructing such apparatus — was awarded the contract for the truck and after several designs and redesigns, the truck, with a 1,500-gallon-per-minute capacity — was placed into service on Feb. 8, 1974. The truck remained in service until 2003.
A 1947 American LaFrance, 100-foot aerial ladder was purchase from the city of Hudson in 1976 and placed in service on April 1, 1977. The truck remained in service until the mid-1990s when it was replaced by an aerial tower truck purchased from Cooperstown . An even new, 1978 aerial tower truck was placed into service in 2003 after its purchase from a Long Island fire company.
Facing many calls for vehicle accidents, the company decided in 1987 to purchase the Jaws of Life extrication tool. An air bag extrication tool was purchased in the mid-1990s to supplement the Jaws and provide the company with two separate means of extricating victims of car accidents.
After 29 years of service, the company replaced the 1962 pumper with a brand new 1,250-gallon, 1500-gallon-per-minute on Sept. 12, 1991. The pumper was dedicated on Nov. 3, 1993 to 67-year Charter Member John S. Wolfe.
In 1993, the company purchased a 1987 Ford ambulance to provide adequate space to store the company; first responder emergency medical service team.
The purchase brought to five the number of trucks the company maintained. The year 2003 was a major year of apparatus change for the fire company.
Besides the aerial tower truck, the company also placed into service a 1989 rescue truck, purchased from East Lyme Conn. , which replaced the 1970 rescue truck.
A 2003 Ferrara was also placed into service, replacing the 1974 Ward LaFrance. The new truck contains a reel that accommodates more than 2,000 feet of 5” hose, as well as a 750-gallon tank , a 2,000-gallon-per-minute pump and five attack lines.